Monday, July 18, 2011

Birth control pills causing severe depression?

I am 15 years old and I have a family history of bipolar depression on both sides of the family. Recently it had been well controlled (no anxiety attacks, no harsh mood swings, no suicidal thoughts or actions, etc.). I have always had a very heavy, painful period. My cramps immobilize me and I get severe migraines the day before my period. My gynecologist recommended that I start a birth control regimen to regulate and lighten my period, so she prescribed me BeYaz and Naproxen 500 mg (I don't take the latter because it causes excessive joint pain). Ever since about a week after I started the pill I had been very irritable and moody, and recently it has progressed to the point where I cry all the time and sleep all day. The only thing I can compare it to is depression. I was wondering if it is all due to the certain pill or if it is entirely because of my preexisting condition. I want to fix it, but I cannot come off of the pill as I do not want to have to experience a painful period again and I have recently become sexually active (I don't want to hear it, it was a choice all on my own and I am in a very stable, happy relationship). Would asking about antidepressants interfere with the birth control pills or any pain medication in the Naproxen family? What kind of antidepressant works the best on minors? Should I try a different brand of birth control pill? Reminder, I CANNOT come off the pill. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment